Why you should join the mission:
To make an impact in your community, to affect change in the lives of those most vulnerable, to bring hope and healing to those in need – these are just a few of the reasons working with Open Door Mission creates a fulfilling purpose.
The Open Door Mission (ODM) is a non-denominational Christian ministry located in Glens Falls, NY. The right candidate will meet our Qualifications for Employment and Statement of Faith.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of The Open Door to grant equal opportunities for employment to all qualified persons without regard to age, race, color, national origin, military, gender, genetic characteristic, marital status, unemployment, domestic violence, or any other grounds prohibited by law. Every effort is made to select individuals who are best suited to the position based on qualifications, education (when applicable), ability, work record, experience and fit.
It is our intent and desire to provide equal opportunities in employment, promotion, training, wages, benefits, and all the privileges, and terms and conditions of employment. This commitment applies to all individuals employed by and involved in the operations of The Open Door and its associated ministries, and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any Open Door staff member. Consistent with this policy of nondiscrimination, The Open Door will provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
In order to carry out the stated purposes of The Open Door, it is the policy of The Open Door to recruit and hire (in a regular category) only applicants who have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and accepted Him as their Lord and Savior, as indicated on and consistent with our Statement of Faith and General Application form. As a religious, charitable, non-profit organization – 501 (c)(3), The Open Door has an organizational exemption within Title VII, Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, as it relates to discrimination because of religious formation and purpose. We further reserve and will exercise the right to discriminate or designate certain positions when a bona fide occupational qualification exists.
All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable labor laws.
Join Our Team
The Open Door exists to serve people at their point of need, cultivating personal growth and community sustainability. We model our faith in Jesus by providing practical solutions, to physical, spiritual, and relational brokenness.
Every day, employees at Open Door Mission serve men, women, and children who come to us. Whatever their job, they are dedicated to serving people at their point of need, coming alongside them in relationship with grace and love. We know that healing comes through experiencing God’s love and our staff models that each day.
The entire team at Open Door embraces the values of:
- Relationship with God
- Team Work and Collaboration
If you aspire to these values as well, you might be a good candidate for a career with us!
Qualifications for Employment
Every position within The Open Door requires specific qualifications particular to that area of service. Qualifications, duties and responsibilities are listed in the job description for each position
Open Door staff members should hold to the highest possible standards of Christian conduct in all areas of life. We should be living examples of what we teach. The conduct and activities of The Open Door staff should reflect obedience and respect to Jesus Christ and sensitivity to the Christian community and the people we serve. We desire our ministry team to lead a mindful, exemplary Christian lifestyle that is “above reproach” so that:
- Unbelievers will see, hear and respond positively as we direct them toward the grace of Jesus Christ, and
- Believers will be encouraged, strengthened and desirous of emulating the godly character qualities that they see in us.
Therefore, we have adopted the following qualifications for employment, which are applicable to all employees of The Open Door upon hire and continuously, while employed:
- Be a born again believer in Jesus Christ claiming Him as Lord and Savior as expressed by personal testimony and Christian conduct.
- Be known for a dedicated Christian life according to the standards in God’s Word as prescribed in traditions of the Christian faith and written in Holy Scripture.
- Regularly attend/be a member in good standing and participate in a local recognized, evangelical church whose doctrine does not contradict our Statement of Faith.
- Believe and adhere to The Open Door Doctrinal Statement.
- Have a genuine concern for the salvation of souls and the spiritual welfare of Open Door’s guests and guests; be committed to provide the highest quality of work and care on a daily and on-going basis.
- Abstain from involvement with and/or use of illegal substances and from taking prescribed substances differently than prescribed by a physician realizing that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
- Maintain a lifestyle that is free from sexual sin, as biblically defined.
- Have a teachable spirit and the ability to work in harmony with others; be committed to unity, teamwork, and biblical respect for Open Door’s leadership and policies. (Phil. 2:1-4, Hebrews 13:7, 17)
- Seek to communicate openly and honestly with one another, accepting responsibility for words and actions, striving to speak only that which edifies in order to maintain unity.
In areas of Christian liberty, where the Bible is silent or does not provide specific instruction, such as movies, music, television, or reading material, Open Door strongly encourages all staff members to consider Paul’s exhortation in I Corinthians 10:23-24, “Everything is permissible – but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible – but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.” (NIV)* We must be careful that, in exercising our freedoms in Christ, we do not hurt or hinder those whom we are, in fact, trying to help and serve. In Romans 14:13b Paul encourages us “…make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.” Carefully consider how our individual behavior might impact the well-being of ourselves, our coworkers, or our guests/guests.
* Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION, Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.
The Director of Development (DD) is a salaried position and as such will be part of the leadership team. They will be responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, and expansion of the Open Door Mission’s fundraising program. The DD supervises all fundraising staff, volunteers, and consultants. The DD works closely with the CEO to integrate all elements of the Mission’s fundraising functions with our Strategic Plan; successfully meets annual revenue goals; and integrates the vision, core values, and culture of the Open Door Mission. Qualified, experienced applicants only, please.
Safety Team Members may work part-time or full-time hours. They provide overnight supervision and care to the guests in their year-round overnight shelter. Successful candidates will be able and willing to interact with shelter guests in a compassionate, Christ-like and respectful manner. Night shifts and holidays are